Thursday, July 16, 2009

Uganda!

We left LA on Monday but are still not in Karamoja.  The flight seemed like forever even though I slept most of the way.  The first night in Entebbe we stayed in a sweet hotel and ate at a Chinese food after our trip to the zoo.  Our waitress had a really hard time understanding us and anything we asked her she simply replied "jess." "Is this my chicken?" "Jess" "This chicken is really mushy. And kinda green.  Are these seeds?" When you finally discover that the chicken is egg plant it tastes better. Needless to say we got some wrong orders. The days are so weird here with jet lag and everything, sleeping is a common pass time.  We all konk out at random times. 

We headed out early this morning after some extra tall toast and instant coffee and drove all day which was exciting.  The ride seamed short because everything is new.  They ride lots of  hipster bikes with their pants rolled up and busses suffed full of people. The cities remind me of Mexico and the country is a lot like inland Hawaii except that everyone is Ugandan.  We were delayed by two flat tires so we are staying at a COC missionary house while the family is in the US.  While the boys were changing the second flat us girls showed our ipod to some local kids.  They were so cute.  The ride was really fun, the girls car talked a lot.  The Eldeens picked us up and they are both really cool. Later tonight we had Indian food.  It was so awesome.  Funny, we have not had any Ugandan food yet except tea, soda and beer.  Also Becky and I got some soft serve ice cream.  Everything here is the same food but has a slightly funky taste. Not bad just not like in the US.  Enough about food except that is mostly all we have done. 

Tomorrow we are going on a hike with Jim before we leave.  I am really excited.  Hopefully it is not too muddy. 

Well that is the quick update. Everyone is safe.  And yah, my visa was so easy but I had to pay again.  Thanks for your prayers.  I will try to write soon.  I would love emails (seamarisajanesurf@yahoo.com) but I might not have a lot of time to write back.  I should go before I fall asleep. 

Love you all!

6 comments:

  1. Hi honey. So thankful your visa was easy and you are there safely. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beer? -- mom
    Hi, this is Meg. I miss you. You are the best. We have been having a lot of fun here. It is not as fun without you because you are the best. I will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for you to post your pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello marisa its weard with out you i miss you so much!!!!!!!!! we all do and we iove you to be safe and fun




    love michaela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Marisa...glad you are there safely!!! Feels really weird that you are on the other side of the world right now!! I miss my little surfer-niece dropping by after droppin in. The Drinkys will be praying for your safety and that you will be used mightily!!!! We love you, Auntie Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi marisa how are you? we are all good. we miss you so much!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete