Sunday, December 13, 2009

Prescott Valley

Just before finals, Victoria and I decided to escape the crowds of southern California for the open road. We picked up Karolina and Amy from Providence and headed down the 605. At one point we saw a billboard that read "McDonald's 95 miles," Victoria commented, "You know you're in the middle of nowhere when the next McDonald's is 95 miles away [and when that is something to look forward to]." There is not much in the Arizona desert except for some rocks, a rock museum, The Kickass BBQ, and beautiful oddly shaped mountains. We also passed Deadmans Wash and Bloody Basin Road. Hum... wonder what they do there.

One of the first things that we had to do out of state was find some ferrets. It was on the bucket list. I always wanted to have one when I was little but my rodent coveting ended when I saw a PBS documentary about ferrets and the people that show them. WOW, they are WEIRD people. And now I know why. Ferrets are crazy and smell a lot even though they are very cute and like my hair.

After the long drive on Saturday we went down to the Pony Espresso for some folk music and coffee. James met up with us and I made friends with a man selling ceramic paraphernalia.

After Church on Sunday we explored some antique stores and scavenged Costo for lunch. We hung out at the Bronson's house that afternoon and then went to a Christmas lights display. Later we explored downtown Prescott. We climbed a huge old fire escape and rode a bronze horse. I got to kick through (unsuccessfully) saloon doors. Apparently, around the turn of the century there was and underground street on Whiskey Roe where all the scandalous shanagons went on. Now it's all locked. That night we also had a late night salon and a whole lot of tea.

We bid farewell on Monday after a lot of sleep and a wonderfully picnic at a really cute park, such a glorious day, laying on the grass eating leftover hummus. One old man walked by and exclaimed, "My! What a lazy bunch," with a twinkle in his eye.

One thing I have to say about the 48th state is the people are so friendly and helpful. Strangers will greet you with a "Merry Christmas," or strike up an interesting conversation. The workers at Costco are so much more cheery and informative. The gas stationers are super helpful. Even the blue meanie was a nice guy. Everyone seems cheery.

No comments:

Post a Comment